Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Three Questions

This morning I went for a run down by the canal towpath in Georgetown. The canal is one of my favorite areas to run in for many reasons. It's flat, made up of dirt and gravel, and surrounded by trees. Travelers can always find some shade, and even on the hottest days, its proximity to the Potomac makes it a few degrees cooler than the rest of the city. In fact, the whole scene can be quite enchanting. There are animals of all kind, and as the path winds, you feel like you’re running through the woods on a forgotten path to nowhere.

Today I saw a turtle resting against the bank of the path, with only his head poking out of the water. And, I couldn't help but imagine the little guy coming up to look around and just taking it easy. He reminded me of a book I read last night to L (the three year old I babysit) called "The Three Questions." It's based on the short story by Leo Tolstoy and features a boy asking "What is the best time do things?" "Who is the most important one?" and "What is the right thing to do?" The boy comes to learn from a wise, old turtle that the most important time is now, the most important one is the one you are with, and the most important thing is to do good to the person you are with.

I really enjoyed my run and felt strong the whole way. I began to wonder about the many ways we take care of the one we are with and also how often we forget to do that exact thing. In every circumstance in life, there is always another that we are “with.” And I’d have to agree with Tolstoy that taking care of that one is the most important thing. Not necessarily because we love that person or even know that person but simply because he or she shares in our humanity.

One of my favorite quotes has always been the following by John Wesley:
Do all the good you can,
By all the means you can,
In all the ways you can,
In all the places you can,
At all times you can,
To all people you can,
As long as you ever can.

This is our calling. But it is up to each of us to discover our own destinies in fulfilling this calling. It is amazing to me to think that an Ironman is part of my life path, and I am awestruck with this realization every time it hits me. The most important time is now. And I have so many incredible people "with" me on this journey that I can only hope I am doing my part to take care of them along the way. I certianly could not do this alone and am deeply grateful to those who continue to take care of me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment