Monday, August 2, 2010

My Old Kentucky Home

Throughout my training, I've seen many cardinals, which is the state bird of Kentucky (also Virginia and several other states it turns out!). Each time I see one, I think of how much this bird has meant to my family and how often I've seen his image during my lifetime. My grandmother, my grandfather, my parents, cousins, and so many others have shared their love and pride in this bird and their home state. It makes me feel a great sense of "rightness" with the fact that my first Ironman will take place in Kentucky.

My parents were both born and raised in the state, most of my extended family still lives there, and much of my childhood was spent within its borders. In a way, I really feel like I am coming home. This gives me a great sense of calmness and peace when thinking of the 140.6 journey I'll undertake on August 29. Because, while it will be a long day and it won't be easy, I will be home, traveling across land I've crossed so many times before. The eyes and hearts of all my family members will be on me and with me that day. And I know that there will be points in the day where knowing this will mean all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment